Thank you for this. OK, so you are correct in that doing nothing works on my
office machine but not when I connect to it remotely to deliver my mail using
ssh -L etc and am using that server to deliver my email.

I am not able to find any notification as to what goes wrong beyond the fact
that the mail does not get delivered.

Hope this explains.

Thanks!