Well, you might give it a shot a program called "Notmuch" or "Mu"
...both are mail indexer and search . Importantly , they have machanism
to integrate with most of the editors.

Thanks,
Bhaskar

Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> writes:

I'm looking for a way to find (and display) an E-Mail when I know the
exact value of the Date: header.

The 'usual' search programs such as Mairix can't do this as they all expect a date range and also expect it to be at least a day long.

I've also tried grepmail but that seems not to be able to search
maildir E-Mails.

Is there anything out there that can do this?

I can grep for the E-Mail but then I'm left with the issue of
extracting the body/text which is what I actually want. Can I 'pipe'
the mailbox (found by grep) into mutt and then get the output on
stdout, that's what I'd need.