This is a bit off topic for mutt specifically but it's about doing
things to the mail I read using mutt, so it's not *very* OT.  :-)

I'm looking for a way to keep an archive (as in a maildir hierarchy)
of *all* my mail into which I can merge my current (S[aved] in to
using mutt) maildir hierarchy.

This isn't just a straight copy of everything as there will be some
(quite a lot of) overlap.  I.e. I will keep mail dating back to (say)
2010 in my current, seen directly by mutt, mail hierarchy and I will
want to merge this into the archive at (say) monthly intervals so
there will be some years of E-Mails that are in both hierarchies.

Both hierarchies will be on the same computer so it isn't an IMAP
synchronisation tool I'm looking for.  These are just directory trees
full of maildir mailboxes.

I will, if necessary, write it myself, probably in Python but I don't
want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

--
Chris Green