On 24Jan2022 08:55, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 10:24:41AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> On 23Jan2022 10:46, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>> >This is a bit off topic for mutt specifically but it's about doing
>> >things to the mail I read using mutt, so it's not *very* OT.  :-)
>>
>> Had you considered a shell script which invokes mutt with -e to copy
>> messages tagged by criteria from a mail folder to your archive folder?
>>
>That's a good idea, thank you.  I have done things like this before
>(i.e. an mbox to maildir script using mutt), not very fast but who
>cares, it can take some hours for all I care.
>
>I think it may need a separate process to de-duplicate the destination
>but that's OK.

If you're merging from several folders to the archive, I expect so. Mutt
can do that, BTW. Order by threads, tags duplicates (~=) and delete
them.

My folder hooks start like this:

    folder-hook .         'push
"<tag-pattern>~=<enter><tag-prefix-cond><delete-message><untag-pattern>~T<enter><end-cond>"'

to do that: tag duplicates, delete (conditional on anything being
tagged), untag tagged messages (~T).

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>