On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 11:55:04PM +0000, Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 09:10:01AM +1100, raf wrote:

> > > Authenticated in this context means, you don't have SPF / DKIM /
> > > DMARC set up.
> >
> > That's sad. I'm pretty sure that the absence of SPF/DKIM/DMARC was
> > never supposed to be interpreted as a failure of any of them.
> > Perhaps the sending domain does have SPF but it's not setup
> > correctly. It doesn't seem to (unixarea.de).
> >
> What is *really* sad is that most of the spam which gets through
> direct to this account of mine is things apparently from gmail
> addresses, pointing to ntlworld/somewhereelse.com addresses inviting
> me to login, and with DKIM apparently passing (the last couple I
> looked at were relaxed/relaxed).
>
> ĸen
> --
> The beauty of reading a page of de Selby is that it leads one
> inescapably to the conclusion that one is not, of all nincompoops,
> the greatest.            -- du Garbandier

That's probably not because it's relaxed/relaxed. It's just
that when spammers use gmail to send spam, gmail happily
and correctly DKIM-signs the outgoing spam. Gmail only protects
gmails users from receiving spam. It doesn't stop them sending
spam. At least, that's what seems to be the case.

cheers,
raf