On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 03:14:21PM -0500, X Tec wrote:
> I think I kind of sorted the "not a mailbox" issues: each mailbox
> seems to have its own defined directory tree, which will give the
> aforementioned error if not found, or will alternatively be created
> but only when the mailbox is really being used for the first time.  So
> I had to do this: mkdir -p
> $HOME/mutt/mail/{inbox,sent,trash}/{cur,new,tmp}

>From memory, that seems about right.

> Now, could someone really help with the other issues, please?  Thanks
> again.
>
> On 2022-08-27 11:53:50, X Tec wrote:
>> After exploring all possibilities I could with IMAP, I felt like it
>> was time to give POP3 a try.  So tried the following: set
>> pop_user="$user"; set pop_pass="$pass"; set
>> pop_host="pop://$user@$url" set pop_delete=no; set pop_last=yes; set
>> mbox_type=Maildir; set folder=~/mutt/mail; set spoolfile=+inbox; set
>> record=+sent; set trash=+trash; mailboxes +inbox +sent +trash; set
>> ssl_force_tls=yes
>>
>> But it's not working:
>>
>> ---It creates $HOME/mail/, but just "$HOME/mail/inbox is not a
>> mailbox". Ctrl+O to this mailbox gives the same, until hitting 'G'
>> key to fetch email.

Seems like you resolved this issue.

>> ---Fetching email with 'G' key just ignores the "pop_last=yes"
>> setting because it always downloads all email regardless of locally
>> read or not, even though other clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird
>> don't do this mistake. So I don't think server doesn't support the
>> LAST command...

Which version of Mutt are you using?

Hopefully someone else will help.

Alternatively, you could try Getmail by Charles Cazabon, which works
well with Mutt and provides the functionality you are seeking here.

https://pyropus.ca./software/getmail/

>> ---When trying to open the other mailboxes I just get the "not a
>> mailbox" message, either with Ctrl+O or 'G', even if I manually
>> create the corresponding directories

Seems like you resolved this issue.

>> ---A more general thing: what are Ctrl+O ("open mailbox")

In the Mutt manual, the only mention of ^O that I can find is:

    <rename-attachment> ^O  send attachment with a different name

>> and '$' actually for? [...]

`$` writes pending changes to disk.

>> ---Finally, on IMAP, different email providers seem to have totally
>> different ways to specify their subfolders for the variables $sent,
>> $drafts...: "INBOX.sent", "[Gmail]/Sent Mail", etc. Then how am I
>> suppose to find out which syntax each email service uses?

I believe there are ways to query IMAP for a list of (sub)folders.
Hopefully someone else will help with this.

As an aside: massive corporations who rely on lock-in to retain
customers - e.g. Google (Gmail) and Microsoft (Outlook365, or Live, or
Hotmail, etc), and perhaps Yahoo - seem more likely to have non-standard
IMAP setups on their servers.

"Traditional" email providers are typically more consistent with each
other, and with IMAP standards.  Probably because under the hood they
typically run Dovecot, Cyrus, or Panda IMAP (Mark Crispin's post-UW fork
of UW IMAP).

So, to avoid dealing with non-standard IMAP setups, a reasonable
strategy is to avoid the megacorps.

Ideally, find an affordable email provider you like, and support them
by using (and ideally, paying for) their services.

Sam