On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 05:43:41PM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:

Very long lines -- one line per paragraph -- changes the meaning of
ASCII/Unicode.

err, what? I am confused what we are discussing.

ASCII was not designed to be automatically word-wrapped. The idea was that a line keeps going off to the right until a CR character. Microsoft and Apple decided long ago to do something different, and effectively change the definition of the character set a little.

I think it was associated with the move to GUIs, and many windows of widely varying sizes, including text dialog boxes. It was a real problem, of course -- as we see now, fixed-length lines don't really work when displayed at varying width. One line per paragraph and automatic word-wrap is a fairly simple solution, and works pretty well, but it's a redefinition, and incompatible.

I could live with that if it were labelled, with a new MIME subtype, but I
agree that a new subtype probably

And even more so here.

There could be a new subtype of text, maybe text/paragraph, to label body parts that should be interpreted that way. Apparently something like that was proposed about 20 years ago, but it didn't happen.