On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 07:18:26PM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 08:47:44PM -0500, Jason Franklin wrote:
> > Now, if I re-open mutt, the message is gone... completely. I'm confused
> > as to why the message was removed even though I typed 'n' at the prompt
> > for whether or not to proceed with the purge.
> >
> > Are "purging" and "deleting" not the same thing?
>
> According to the IMAP protocol, they are not.  Deleting is marking the
> message with the "deleted" flag, which normally doesn't automatically remove
> it from the mailbox.  Purging (expunging) will remove messages marked as
> "deleted" from the mailbox.

Very good to know.

It looks like I'm marking deleted with 'd', exiting without purging via
mutt, then my provider knows to purge the message anyway.

It seems like an odd distinction to separate "purging" from "moving to
trash folder."

For example, let's say I mark a message to be deleted, and I have mutt
set to say "yes" to the purge prompt at the end of my session, but my
computer dies before I can properly close out my mutt process. Will
I then lose those messages as I have done here?

Thanks!

--
Jason