On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 04:22:43AM +0200, e <frank...@cotdamn.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 04:10:45AM +0200, e wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to use mutt without having an MTA on your own machine? I
> > have read that some MUA's use "Message submission" (rfc 2476)
> > to send the mail to an MSA that can be on the same network for example. How
> > can I do this with mutt?
>
> Is $smtp_url the situation where a MUA is using "Message submission" and it
> sends to an MSA?

I expect so. The manpage says the syntax is:

  smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]

If the port isn't provided, it presumably uses port 25,
but in that case, the user and password probably aren't
helpful (authentication is often not offered on port 25).
Your MUA host would have to be considered as local by the
MTA server. That might not be possible.

If the port is supplied as 465 or 587, it presumably
knows the difference (i.e, TLS or STARTTLS, respectively),
and the user and password are necessary. Actually,
you probably need "smtps:" for port 465 and "smtp:" for
port 587. mutt might not handle that for you.

So the following would be best:

  smtps:user:pass@server:465
  smtp:user:pass@server:587

These last two might work, but only if the MTA server offers
authentication on port 25, or if it trusts your MUA host,
respectively.

  smtp:user:pass@server
  smtp:server

Also note that, when using "smtp:" rather than "smtps:", mutt
still encrypts the traffic by default, because $ssl_starttls
is yes by default. But you might want to set ssl_force_tls=yes
as well.

cheers,
raf