Hello Derek,

On 2024-03-30 09:21:53, Derek Martin wrote:
> However I would point out that your own post said that you had left
> LANG unset.  Did you try setting LANG (and unsetting all the other
> environment variables, and Mutt's charset variable) as I suggested?
> Did you then also look at the output of the locale command to ensure
> that the settings were correct, as expected based on that setting?
> I'd love to see that output, to confirm or refute whether your system
> is correctly honoring LANG, as its man page seems to say it should...
> And then once you confirmed that locale was correct, did you then try
> Mutt?

I did. However, I set the LANG variable in .profile and .kshrc files,
which I think was the problem. Because, LANG (and the rest) wasn't
updated when in the new session.

> In either case--whether you set only LANG or only LC_CTYPE--you should
> not then need to set Mutt's character set, because it should get it
> from LC_CTYPE (directly or indirectly through inheritance from LANG).

You are right. Setting the charset in muttrc is not necessary.

Basically, you were right on all counts. All I needed was to just set
the LANG variable correctly in .xsession. Now it's working and my locale
is:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> If OpenBSD can't handle this, then perhaps that would make at least
> part of an argument for why end users shouldn't use it as their
> desktop OS...

It was just me all along. OpenBSD is a fantastic desktop OS :) Thank you
for your kind assistance.

--
Sadeep Madurange
PGP: 103BF9E3E750BF7E