Cool, this sounds like it would work. I should have been more clear: I 
DON'T need to assign tasks to Frank or track his progress--that's why I'm 
not considering traditional project management software. I DO need to know 
that I can't do anything more on this project until Frank does his part. 

The ability to create a report from @waiting-for sounds great--my boss 
always wants to know about the blockers. Thanks!

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:17:46 PM UTC-7, Dwight Arthur wrote:
>
> MLO does not let you assign a task to Frank or let Frank record his 
> completion of the markups. It may be possible for you to share a portion of 
> your profile (the database where your tasks are kept) with Frank and use 
> synch to replicate his updates into your copy of the profile but that’s 
> pretty advanced, fairly complex stuff – I’m guessing that you are not ready 
> to take on something of that scale yet.
>
>  
>
> Two ways of representing the situation you described. First is to create a 
> project with subtasks like
>
> -Send document to Frank for review
>
> -Wait for Frank’s markups
>
> -Prepare final draft.
>
> In the **Properties** pane for the parent project, click “complete tasks 
> in order”. This causes the first uncompleted task to be _*Active*_ which 
> means Ready for execution, while the remaining uncompleted tasks will be 
> considered _*Inactive*_ or not ready for execution. So when you look at a 
> to-do report like Active Tasks, you will see the task about sending 
> documents to Frank. When you have sent the documents, click the completion 
> box for that task and it will no longer be shown in the Active Tasks 
> display – its place will be taken by the task about waiting for markups. As 
> long as you are waiting for the markups, the “wait for markups” task will 
> appear in your Active Tasks. When the markups are received, click the 
> completion box for that task and the final draft task will move to Active 
> Tasks.
>
>  
>
> Everything above works no matter what you call the categories. But people 
> usually want to make a few improvements that require a specific category 
> for things you’re waiting for. I call mine “@Wait”. Once you assign tasks 
> to the @Wait context you can (a) build a report of things you are waiting 
> for, highlighting those that should have completed by now, and (b) make a 
> to-do list that excludes things you are waiting for and just shows the 
> things you should be doing.
>
>  
>
> The other way of representing the situation is to use explicit 
> dependencies instead of the implicit ones that come of completing tasks in 
> order. If you have a simple series of tasks where each task is a dependency 
> for the next, then complete in order works fine. Explicit dependencies are 
> needed when a task is dependent on another task that’s in a different 
> branch of your tree, or you have one task that’s dependent on several (you 
> need markups from three people before doing the final) or many tasks that 
> can run concurrently but all dependent on the same task (when paycheck 
> clears, pay all my bills). For this you go into the task properties pane, 
> open the dependencies section, and create the specific dependencies.
>
> 0Dwight
>
>  
>
>  
>
> *From:* [email protected] <javascript:> [mailto:
> [email protected] <javascript:>] *On Behalf Of *pwilder
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:27 PM
> *To:* [email protected] <javascript:>
> *Subject:* [MLO] How do I create an external dependency?
>
>  
>
> This is probably a really basic question, but I just got an evaluation 
> copy of MLO so I'm at the basic level. 
>
> One of the features I was counting on is the ability to create 
> dependencies. Specifically, I want to be able to say "I can't do this task 
> until Frank gives me the markups" (or whatever it is Frank needs to do that 
> is blocking me). I see that there's an @OfficeWaiting For context, and that 
> SEEMS to be what I should use, but I don't see a way to say WHAT I'm 
> waiting for and these tasks appear in my To-Do list like all the others. I 
> don't see a way to create a task and assign it to someone else so I can 
> make my task dependent on that one, either. 
>
> I can't be the only person whose work depends on someone else finishing 
> theirs! How do I create tasks that are dependent on external factors?
>
> TIA.
>
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "MyLifeOrganized" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mylifeorganized/-/_85zwEsL-qgJ.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]<javascript:>
> .
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected] <javascript:>.
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized?hl=en.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mylifeorganized/-/BZXhAy6pe_UJ.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized?hl=en.

Reply via email to