OK, I think I have this. It uses a technique that I call "sliding
schedules." - I use them when I want to be able to do a chore late without
having to try to catch up afterwards. When one task is late the following
tasks are all automatically pushed back. It looks like the same technique
could be used if you finish a task early, to push up all of the subsequent
tasks.

There are a lot of steps because I'm writing this so it could be followed
by people who are at different levels of MLO expertise.

1. Jon, if I understand correctly, you set up another set of these tasks
whenever you engage with a new client. So I would suggest setting this up
in a hidden branch called "templates" and then using "new from template"
for each new client.

2. Create a parent task, with subtasks representing all of the tasks you
will need to complete.

3. Make sure all of the subtasks have "inherit parent dates" set.

4. Give the parent task start and end dates that represent the duration
(time to complete) for each of your tasks.

5. Be sure that "complete tasks in order" is set for the parent.

6. In the task attributes of the parent, click "recurrence:none" to bring
up the task recurrence window

7. Set the recurrence pattern to "daily" and select "regenerate new task
___ days after each task is completed." Fill in the blank with the number
of days you want to have to complete each step (14 for two weeks)

8. Set Start Date for when you want the first task to start, and Due Date
for the date you want it to be done, in this case two weeks later. Check
lead time to ensure that the interval came out to what you wanted.

9 Leave "End Occurrences" set to "No end date." - if you want this set of
instructions to self destruct after a single use you can select "end after"
but be sure that the number you type in is equal to the total number of
subtasks.

10. Click the "advanced Options" button to bring up the Task Recurrence
Advanced Options window.

11. If you are going to use this set of instructions just once, select
"disable automatic reset" - if you will use them multiple times select
"Reset all subtasks to uncompleted, if all subtasks are completed."

12. Complete "automatically recur when any subtask is complete."

13. Not necessary but I'd recommend checking the box by "do not create a
completed copy . . ."

All done. Click "OK" on any menu or options windows still open. If you look
at the All Tasks view you will see all of the tasks laid out. On any sort
of Active Actions view you will see only the one you are supposed to be
working on right now. If you check completion on the current task, it will
vanish and will be replaced by the next task, which will have a start date
of today and a due date in two weeks. Depending on the options you used,
when you finish the last task you may have to mark the parent complete or
even delete it, or you might find that the first task has reappeared as
active starting today.

Special note: if your subtasks are not all the same duration, make sure
that the duration of the parent is equal to the duration of the longest
subtask. For any task that gets less time, turn off "inherit parent dates",
set the start date equal to whatever the start date of the parent is at
that moment, and set the due date equal to the start date plus the desired
interval. (If the subtask should take one day, set the due date for one day
after whatever the start date is)

good luck, tell me if it works.
-Dwight

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/160cf06a-5009-4cd5-b7e7-956bbd8933fd%40googlegroups.com.