Hi, Paul. I'm a member of the Beta Test team for MLO/Android. In order to join the team I had to promise not to discuss the features and designs that are being tested, in case some of them fail in testing and get withdrawn. So I can't tell you what's being tested.

MLO has a way longer software release cycle than I think anyone would like, but they wouldn't need a beta team if Android had been abandoned as you suggest.
-Dwight