Hello all,

So I'm a loooooooong-time user (early 2000's) of MLO and have configured 
and used it in many different ways over the years, trying to leverage the 
full power of this amazing tool to capture all my interests and to-do items 
across all my Areas of Focus, Interest, and Responsibility, present them in 
clean, organized, and optimized and relevant lists, and do all that in as 
efficiently and easily as possible. It's been a long journey of testing, 
trying things out, chucking out ideas that didn't work, going back to the 
drawing board, re-investigating MLO features and how to leverage them And 
today, using a combination of flags, folders, projects, outlines, lists, 
importance, urgency, contexts, and some very fancy Advanced Filtered Views, 
I have a system that truly captures "everything" in an almost perfect 
system and process that is easy to use, update, and add to. But over the 
years, the one feature that has eluded my understanding has been 
Workspaces. I've never been able to come up with a way to leverage WS to 
make my system more efficient and easier to use. I've always ended up 
abandoning any configuration that included them because they inevitably 
ended up complicating things and slowing things down, becoming cumbersome 
and unwieldy. Now, I want to be clear, this is completely a failing on my 
part to understand how they were meant to be used, and not the result of a 
poor or pointless design. I've never seemed to be able to get my head 
around how to use them right, and I've never liked that. If there's a way 
for a tool to help make things easier to manage, I want to utilize it. So 
with that in mind, I set out this week to finally be able to check off 
"complete MLO setup" in my "implement GTD" project :)

After spending a few hours over the last couple of days combing through the 
posts in this Group and Googling the net in general, I think I've distilled 
the purpose of Workspaces down to a very simple and concise explanation and 
I wanted to post it here to see if any of you all might share what you 
think about what I've come up with. What I've come to understand about 
Workspaces is as follows:

Essentially, workspaces are used to apply views to a subset of the outline.

➜ either to apply different views to the same subset(zoom) of the outline, 
or

➜ to apply the same view to multiple, different, subsets at the same time, 
without having to zoom out, find a different branch, and zooming back in.

 

You can also customize a view (adding further filters, groupings, sortings, 
etc.) applied to a Workspace without affecting other Workspaces using that 
view (unless you Save the view, then it overwrites the view and applies it 
to all Workspaces currently using it) without having to create a new, 
separate, and specialized View for one specific purpose (the goal being to 
keep your views as generic as possible so they can be applied and reused in 
multiple "contexts" (general meaning of the term context, not MLO-specific).


So far this definition has been working really well, and I'd love to hear 
any feedback or thoughts any of you pro users might have. Have I missed 
anything? Is there another way to interpret or use the feature-set of 
Workspaces? Did I nail it? Is there anything else I should consider them 
for?


Looking forward to hearing thoughts.


Cheers all,

Alan


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/935778ce-a80b-4a5a-b567-9231a43939d3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to