I agree that's a first step, but it's not what I'm looking for.

I have tried putting everything into a single folder and then giving it
focus and then using "Show level 1" or "Show Level 2" or "Show Level 3"
etc. using hotkeys.
My problem is that it's showing EVERYTHING at those levels, including all
the tasks that it doesn't need to show - and this is cluttering up the
screen.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ezw3zesoeRk/WoNvoKoVdmI/AAAAAAAAA8k/rrTmYO-4nwscOOO728mUrj5BsvftvnE1wCLcBGAs/s1600/delme-MLO-view02.jpg>

i.e. In my example in order to show Folder 1.2.1, it is also showing tasks
like "This is task A" and it's siblings.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/1d6388cb-ac12-43c9-9f96-981ea149e8c4%40googlegroups.com.