I do something similar to what Michael does as well :)

Your 'variable task' feature reminds me of a feature I suggested on my
application to 'beta team', namely "*Workflows*".
You can implement a workflow-like setup by using combinations of "do tasks
in order" and repeatability, and while it is flexible, but:
1)  It is complex
2) Doesn't capture all the requirement (e.g. some tasks can be optional,
have what-if scenario)
3) Once you go beyond 3-7 tasks in a given project or folder, it starts to
get really complex.

*Workflows *help you create, manage, view a 'set' of tasks. It can be also
implemented as a wizard, making it super powerful.
I believe workflows is a 'major' feature, and I can discuss it more if
there is interest in it.

If the OP strictly wants simple to create, quick tasks to be done in
'succession', then I agree (i.e. random things that pop in the day, and you
just want to quickly organize yourself).
*I see tremendous value in implementing this feature.*
However, if they are repeatable tasks and things that don't have a sense of
urgency, then I believe Michael's approach is the right way to go as it is
flexible and already exist :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/94e5070c-4bfe-4a23-8fc3-06a4006f4155%40googlegroups.com.