I have to agree here.
The preview/edit mode split is the most annoying thing for me. All the text
formatting gets not used, because I don't use the Preview mode.

I wonder what are the reasons for this decision.
It seems to me, that the simple rich text formatting implementation (like
the one I see now, while writing this comment) should have been easier. And
much more useful in my opinion.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/d7618b9b-7c25-46fd-84c6-04a8465f19c3%40googlegroups.com.