The Project status is user controlled and not system controlled. We believe
that the user has their own direct input into whether a Project is viewed
as Not Started, In Progress, Suspended or Completed.

Here is an example: you could have a subtask under a Project heading that
states "Create Project Overview Notes’ or "Plan Phase 2 of Project" etc.
These tasks might be related to the Project overall but aren’t really part
of the Project. If you complete these tasks, it wouldn’t necessarily mean
that you had started working on the actual Project itself. In order to
define the Project as started you have to manually change the status to "In
Progress", in order to mark it once done you need to change the status to
"Completed" and so on.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/33bb30b6-6e02-477e-b0cf-fae2a844646e%40googlegroups.com.