From: Michael Tuminello [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 February 2001 10:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: creating tables from the shell

Hey -

sorry for being too much of a pinhead to figure this out, but the
server is really not giving me too many clues to work with.

I'm trying to execute commands from the shell to create new tables
(I'm walking through the new riders book).

the book says % mysql samp_db < create_member.sql

for me, for whatever reason, mysql will not execute except from its
root directory.  so I'm doing
% ./bin/mysql samp_db < ./var/mysql/create_member.sql
(the book also doesn't tell you where to put the executible scripts,
so I stuck them in the data directory)

can anyone tell me why this isn't working?  it seems to execute (no
error), but nothing happens.   Also, can anyone tell me if there is a
way to get the server to tell you a little more about why things
don't work?  I could use some help debugging, and the log entries are
pithy, to say the least.

thanks in advance-

MT

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential
and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not
disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error
you are asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately.
Your assistance is appreciated.