Hi,

>> I think I'll go with SCSI and increase the RAM so I can use a
>> heap table.
>
> A cheap first step might be to go with a couple of decent 7200 rpm,
> ATA100 (or whatever the hell they're calling themsevles this week)
> disks and RAID0 them.
>
> Striping Good.
>
> Also, make sure your IDE is spiffed up to the max. Do an:
>
> hdparm /dev/hda (or whatever).
>
> Make sure it's using DMA, unmasked IRQ, 32 bit i/o and, a multcount of
> 16. Benchmark your drive before and after, with:
>
> hdparm -t /dev/hda
>
> You should see >10MB per second after tuning up.

Yes, the performance of such a system is really not all that bad. I have a
MySQL server running in just such a fashion that handles a fair load. It has
two 20Gb ATA-66 drives (although only 5400 RPM) in a software RAID 0 array
with tune-up options set using hdparm. BTW, there's a good guide on this at
the O'Reilly site:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

I recommend reading it thoroughly, as well as the hdparm man page.
Personally, these are the settings I'm using:

 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 2491/255/63, sectors = 40031712, start = 0

Also, if you don't like the sound of software-controlled RAID (i.e. by the
Linux kernel), then you could go for one of the plethora of recent
motherboards sporting hardware IDE RAID controllers, or one of the Promise
or Adaptec PCI adapters if you don't want to change motherboards.

Regards,