From: Dave Hodgkinson
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 1:32 AM
To: mike thomas
Cc: Greg Cope; Mysql@Lists. Mysql. Com
Subject: Re: Should I switch to SCSI HD for mysql?

"mike thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> Greg,
>
> Well, I'm doing like "%stuff%" selects on a
single column table
> with 20 million records, so any speed gain would
be great. Would
> I be correct in saying that a select of this
type will always do
> a table scan?

Pretty much.

> I think I'll go with SCSI and increase the RAM
so I can use a
> heap table.

A cheap first step might be to go with a couple of
decent 7200 rpm,
ATA100 (or whatever the hell they're calling
themsevles this week)
disks and RAID0 them.

Striping Good.

Also, make sure your IDE is spiffed up to the max.
Do an:

hdparm /dev/hda (or whatever).

Make sure it's using DMA, unmasked IRQ, 32 bit i/o
and, a multcount of
16. Benchmark your drive before and after, with:

hdparm -t /dev/hda

You should see >10MB per second after tuning up.

However, I can't help thinking for your
application There Must Be A
Better Way. Do you really need to do substring
matching all the time?
Can you pre-build an intermediate results set that
can be optimally
queried?

Dave.

--