Greetings!

I am one of the developers of a MUD, and we have recently decided to rewrite our
entire driver to C++/OOP and use MySQL to store our data, so it has become my
duty to begin to learn about all the facets of MySQL.  I have been going through
FAQs, manuals, etc, and we are also using MySQL++ to interface to the database.
Here are a few general questions that I've got at this point:

1. We would like to make saving/retrieving information from the database
non-blocking, if possible.  Does anyone have any suggestion for this?  Our
thoughts were to write an external program to fetch information and return it to
our main program;  is there any easier way to handle this?  Is it even necessary
to make calls to the database non-blocking?

2. When our driver boots and begins accepting connections, would it be more
feasible to read the various tables into memory structures, rather than querying
the database everytime we need information on a specific item within the game?

Thanks for your help!  Also, if anyone might be willing to help us in a forum
other than the list, a personal reply would be great.  (it would not, of course,
be a paying position, but just for asking advice)

---
Jon A. Nielsen
Lazarus of Spear of Insanity MUD
http://spear.kilnar.com/