Edd,

mySQL, like any other RDBMS, does (and can not) not insert data in a
guaranteed order into a table. While mySQL might usually insert the most
recent record "last" in a table, you should never rely upon the fact.

Refusing to sort your data on the basis of system load sounds a little
strange - you're missing out on 99% of the functionality of a database
server if the only thing you do with are are simple unordered
non-joined inserts and selects. Perhaps you should just be using Notepad
or Pico to edit your webpage by hand ?

regards,

Peter