> A .03 sec left join PREVENTS you from using MySQL.
>
> This must be a troll.

Sigh...
I guess I failed to mention this was a deliberately simplified example in
order to pose my question in a easy-to-understand manner. In reality, there
are much more records, and a more complex query, where the time does add
up...

My real question is, why does MySQL not use any index to sort when LEFT JOIN
is used. (Refer to the EXPLAIN SELECT output at the end of my message.)

Jordan Russell