> Do you have an index on files that starts with dir_id and
> an index on dirs that stats with id and having date in the files
> index (after dir_id) might be helpful although I'm not sure.

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you mean, but...

> you could provide the output of
> show keys from files;
> show keys from dirs;
>
> it would be helpful..

...Here's the output of those queries (please pardon the word wrap):

mysql> show keys from dirs;
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+--
-----------+----------+--------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name | Collation |
Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Comment |
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+--
-----------+----------+--------+---------+
| dirs  |          0 | PRIMARY  |            1 | id          | A         |
500 |     NULL | NULL   |         |
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+--
-----------+----------+--------+---------+

mysql> show keys from files;
+-------+------------+----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+--
-----------+----------+--------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name | Collation |
Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Comment |
| files |          0 | PRIMARY  |            1 | id          | A         |
5000 |     NULL | NULL   |         |
| files |          1 | date     |            1 | date        | A         |
5000 |     NULL | NULL   |         |

Adding an index for dir_id on files did not help (see my other post).

Jordan Russell