hi!

Peter> Hello Dan,
Peter> Tuesday, March 13, 2001, 6:37:16 PM, you wrote:

DN> In the last episode (Mar 13), Peter Zaitsev said:
>>> Well guys mysqldump have one serious problem - the speed.
>>>
>>> The backup speed is quite upsetting and loads system much, but the
>>> worst thing is recovery speed.
>>> In my case the data is added in realtime - most queries are inserts
>>> which utilize system quite hard. So to recover data I have gathered
>>> for a month it will take about 1 week to feed mysql with mysqldump
>>> output, even with extended inserts. So at least this is not complete
>>> solution.

DN> Make sure you remove all your indexes during the load; that can really
DN> slow down inserts.

Peter> Well I tried to do so but still it takes an amount of time to add the
Peter> indexes...

Peter> I think the good Idea would be to add to mysqldump an option to create
Peter> the table without index, then insert all data indeed and then add keys
Peter> required. This would be a good point in --opt mode or in other option
Peter> :)

This already happens when using LOAD DATA INFILE and MyISAM tables,
but the Innobase table handler can't yet do this.

Regards,
Monty