Two things that I am sure will be answered very quickly.

1) I have a development box that I have successfully installed and
configured 3 seperate instances.  Each instances has its own port number.
When playing around with mysqladmin I know I can specify the port number as
an option, but what I cannot figure out is how to change the password.
What is the default password that is used whenever the tables are created
for root?

2) second what is the syntax for changing that blasted password.

Thanks for the patience,
Kris (aka: unixboy