On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Kristopher Briscoe wrote:

> Two things that I am sure will be answered very quickly.
>
> 1) I have a development box that I have successfully installed and
> configured 3 seperate instances.  Each instances has its own port number.
> When playing around with mysqladmin I know I can specify the port number as
> an option, but what I cannot figure out is how to change the password.
> What is the default password that is used whenever the tables are created
> for root?

the empty string ''

> 2) second what is the syntax for changing that blasted password.

since root initially doesn't have a passwd, you set it with:
mysqladmin password 'THE+NEW+PASSWORD'

But changing it for a user that already has one is:
mysqladmin -p password 'THE_NEW_PASSWORD'
and this time you'll be prompted for the old passwd for the change to take place.

> Thanks for the patience,
> Kris (aka: unixboy

Kris_aka:_unixboy, I think you should do the unix approach: read the manual.

regards,
thalis

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
                -- Aristotle