Hi Rhino,

This works, however I can't remember how to suppress the column heading.
If you can do that, you can put anything you like in.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] loganda]$ echo "set @thing='here we go';select
@thing"| mysql -u root -p >outfile
Enter password:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] loganda]$ cat outfile
@thing
here we go

If you can work out how to suppress the column header please let me know

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator
HP Managed Services