Paul,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Mallach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 1:59 PM
Subject: inodb: large old ibdata1 and multiple tablespaces

Hi!

Running version 4.0 we created a fairly big innodb table (10GB, 72.950.601
rows).

After upgrading to 4.1.7 we switched to multiple tablespaces. Then somebody
"ALTER"ed the table and innodb created a new idb file for the table. So right
now we have 3 large files (old ibdata1|2 and the new *.ibd file).

How can I get rid of the old main ibdata files?

The documentation in 15.8 talks about deleting the file and recovering from a
mysqldump. Is this still necessary, when I'm using multiple tablespaces? All
the data would still be in the new .ibd file.

Can anyone tell me, what would happen if I deleted the main ibdata1 file but
left the .ibd intact? Would innodb recover gracefully?

sorry, no. The ibdata files, .ibd files, and ib_logfiles must live together. You cannot separate them.

You can move the table back inside that big ibdata file by removing the option

innodb_file_per_table

from my.cnf, and running ALTER TABLE ... TYPE=InnoDB.

Or recreate everything from scratch.

bye, Paul.

--
Paul Mallach
ARIVA.DE AG

Tel: +49 (0)431/97108-24               E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax: +49 (0)431/97108-29               Internet: http://www.ariva.de

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php