I am cross-posting this to the PHP and the MySQL lists because I'm not sure in which technology my solution will lie.

I have a pretty busy PHP/MySQL site that executes the following query a lot:

select count(*) as `count` from terms;

My MySQL account was disabled by my ISP because this query was causing resource issues, so I need to find a different way to know the record count in that table. A few records are added once every 5 minutes by a cron job. The record count is constant the rest of the time. No records are ever deleted.

Is it possible to create some kind of server-side variable, in which the cron job could store the record count, which would be accessible to all scripts, and would stay the same until it gets reset? Or is there a less-intense MySQL query I should be using instead?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.