Brian Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/06/2005 04:43:11 PM:

> I am cross-posting this to the PHP and the MySQL lists because I'm
> not sure in which technology my solution will lie.
>
> I have a pretty busy PHP/MySQL site that executes the following query
> a lot:
>
> select count(*) as `count` from terms;
>
> My MySQL account was disabled by my ISP because this query was
> causing resource issues, so I need to find a different way to know
> the record count in that table. A few records are added once every 5
> minutes by a cron job. The record count is constant the rest of the
> time. No records are ever deleted.
>
> Is it possible to create some kind of server-side variable, in which
> the cron job could store the record count, which would be accessible
> to all scripts, and would stay the same until it gets reset? Or is
> there a less-intense MySQL query I should be using instead?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You could create a new table that you populate once with SELECT COUNT(*)
then update that table every time your CRON job runs. That way you don't
have to keep performing the COUNT() query when you could look up the value
from a table.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine