On Mon, 7 May 2001 07:40:26 -0400 (EDT)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I set max_connections so low because even at peaks I never need more, and
> when the slowdowns happen, it seems to have an easier time recovering if
> there are 15 slow connections hanging than if there are hundreds.

Are you saying you have 15 slow queries and thus only 3 connections available for your
site to run at time server crashes? that's wrong and probably one of the reasons your
site slows down.

I guess you have some script(s) with 'corrupt' queries that take loads of time (on
non-indexed fields or something) to complete. So mysql gets more and more slow queries
which may take hours to complete, whilst slowing down your site.
You should check which script(s) are responsible for this, and fix the bugs.

> I'll try the thread concurrency thing, thanks. I was under the impression
> this variable was only effective on a Solaris box, but I may be wrong?

you might be quite right. i just noticed it was not the default..

> I suspect you may be right about linuxthreads being the problem.
> Unfortunately, I'm on a managed hosting solution, and I'm not sure if I
> want to risk a kernel panic and countless hours of expensive support :)

you always could try if same database/scripts generate same errors on another box..