Hi,

>From a system point of view, there are 3 main reasons for a slowdown:

- CPU : Your machine is slow because the CPUs are at 100% and can't
        do anything more.
- I/O : Your processes are waiting for data from the disk.
- RAM : You don't have enough RAM so your machine is swapping and all
        your processes run much slower.

According to your first message, third reason seemed the most obvious.
If your machine is not swapping, then first two reasons are good candidates.
You really should run 'vmstat' while your server is slow and try to figure
out where the time is spent.

Also, you should check Apache status. Have you looked at server-status output ?
How many BusyServers ? Are there any IdleServers left ?
If all your servers are busy, it may be due to some performance problem
on your server (as discussed above) but it may also come from slow clients
that are just eating all your connections; in this case, raising your MaxClients
parameter in Apache should help (don't forget to raise max_connections
in mysql.cnf too).

Hope this helps
--
Joseph Bueno