From: ryc [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 11:58 AM
To: 'Richard Reina'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hom many columns is too many?

I dont think the problem was redudant data. He is talking about 75 distinct
fields that no other table contains and ALL data is related to the contact.

It makes sence that a table with more columns would have a higher overhead
when parsing the queries, but but other than that I dont _think_ there
should be a major problem having a table with that many columns. However 75
does seem like it is a very obscene amount for one table, so you may want to
consider creating one table that stores the contacts primary information
(name, address, phone #, business name, ect... ) that is imparative to
working with the contact, and then have another table that contains more
detailed background information. This way if you need the information from
the second table you can left join it, and if you dont need it you dont have
to. Or another scheme is only insert detailed data for the contacts you have
that information on, and leave the rest blank (in this case you wont be able
to use left join because if the column you join on is missing from the
details table the query will return empty, even though the contact is in the
primary table). Either way there are trade offs, decide what is best based
on how much detail information you have from the contacts, and how you want
to lay out your code.

Hope that helps,
ryan

> With relational database design you can more then likely break that 75
> column table down into many different tables.  Look up information on
NORMAL