I have a PHP application that stores member-access passwords in a char column. When the passwords were stored, they were written to the database using the PASSWORD() function. Each hashed password is 16 characters long. When a member logs in, the plain text password submitted is run through the PASSWORD() function and compared to the stored hash. After MySQL was upgraded to 4.1.11, the PASSWORD() function now creates a 41 character hash, which of course doesn't match the 16 character hash. I understand it's possible to restart the MySQL server with the --old-passwords option so that PASSWORD() will create the old style short hash, but I'm looking for a way to convert the short hash values into comparable long hash values. (I don't want to ask 1200+ registered users to reset their passwords.) Apparently the upgrade procedure can successfully convert short-to-long hash values for MySQL user passwords ("user" in the sense of a MySQL user accessing the database itself), so surely there's a way to convert short hashed values to long hashed values for use within a PHP application. Any practical advice greatly appreciated.

--
Lowell Allen