In news:[EMAIL PROTECTED],
satimis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# mysqld_safe =E2=80=93skip-grant-tables &
> [1] 5119
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /var/lib/mysql STOPPING server from pid file
> /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid 070328 19:39:12  mysqld ended

Hmm, I haven't used mysqld_safe script for a long time, but from what I can
see the message "STOPPING server from pid file" only appears if the server
process dies and pid file is not found (it is removed by mysqld as it closes
cleanly). Try running mysqld_safe with additional
parameter: --log-error=/var/lib/mysql/my.err. Then check what has been
written into that file.

Maciek