Hi!

At 05:44 PM 6/1/01 +0400, you wrote:
>Hello mysql,
>
>  Today I played a little bit with two different ways of backup -
>  first one is to use BACKUP TABLE (which works for myisam only) and
>  the second one is SAVE DATA/LOAD DATA.
>
>  In both cases if I'm not mistaken the file is wrote by mysqld server
>  so there is no communication overhead.
>
>  The table was about 3mil of rows  250MB in size, has 2 indexes.
>
>  So the speeds are:
>
>  BACKUP TABLE:
>  backup: 26sec  restore: 3min.15sec
>
>  SAVE DATA/LOAD DATA
>  dump:  4.5min  restore: 40min
>
>  Then I tried to drop all indexes from the table and tried to do
>  restore again it went in:   31min
>

>  The output from backup was 250MB, save file - 400MB.
>

>  These speeds was really strange for me, I did't expect so huge
>  difference in speads, as I don't see there it should get from. The
>  save data outfile operation should be quite fast as the speed of
>  text parsing should be the real limit, also the really surprising
>  was so slow speed of import data from text, even with no indexes on
>  the table if we would look at the speed it's only about 1000 rows
>  per second  which is quite slow.

The speed 1000 rows per second is really too little. I tried an
InnoDB table with 1 000 000 rows, with 2 integer columns, on the
first column a primary key.

mysql> select * from t25 into outfile 'testout2';
Query OK, 1000000 rows affected (4.47 sec)

mysql> load data infile 'testout2' into table t30;
Query OK, 1000000 rows affected (22.23 sec)
Records: 1000000  Deleted: 0  Skipped: 0  Warnings: 0

Thus for these small rows it is 45 000 rows/second on Linux-2.4
2-CPU Xeon 450 Mhz.

What is your table definition like? What is the OS and file system?

Regards,

Heikki