Hello mysql,

  Today I played a little bit with two different ways of backup -
  first one is to use BACKUP TABLE (which works for myisam only) and
  the second one is SAVE DATA/LOAD DATA.

  In both cases if I'm not mistaken the file is wrote by mysqld server
  so there is no communication overhead.

  The table was about 3mil of rows  250MB in size, has 2 indexes.

  So the speeds are:

  BACKUP TABLE:
  backup: 26sec  restore: 3min.15sec

  SAVE DATA/LOAD DATA
  dump:  4.5min  restore: 40min

  Then I tried to drop all indexes from the table and tried to do
  restore again it went in:   31min

  The output from backup was 250MB, save file - 400MB.

  These speeds was really strange for me, I did't expect so huge
  difference in speads, as I don't see there it should get from. The
  save data outfile operation should be quite fast as the speed of
  text parsing should be the real limit, also the really surprising
  was so slow speed of import data from text, even with no indexes on
  the table if we would look at the speed it's only about 1000 rows
  per second  which is quite slow.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]