At 11:46 AM -0500 7/14/01, Paul DuBois wrote:
>At 11:32 AM -0500 7/14/01, Mike<mickalo>Blezien wrote:
>>when you do a mysqladmin variables, where exactly are these variables stored,
>>and can they be changed.
>
>They can be changed by placing set-variable= var_name=var_value lines
>in the [mysqld] group of the /etc/my.cnf option file (or any other option
>file that the server reads at startup time).

I too have been trying to get a "my.cnf" file working properly with
little success. The twist in my tale is that I have two copies of
MySQL installed, one of which uses the standard install location
(/usr/local/) and port, and the other a custom location, port, and
socket. I would like for the second copy to always use the special
port or socket whenever I utilize any of the mysql client programs
(which I invoke from the special location of those files).

I have read the manual about option files and looked for the answer
in the MySQL DuBois book. I have used what I believe to be the
correct parameters based on a file I found at
/usr/local/share/mysql/my-small.cnf). This is a source install so I
understand from the manual that the "my.cnf" file goes in the var
directory.

I have also tried a simple version of this:

[client]
port=14551
socket=/tmp/LassoMySQL.sock

Any solution I've tried using the LassoMySQL/var/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf
files affect both the special installation as well as the standard
MySQL installation. I find I will always get the standard port.

Help?

--
Michael
__