At 12:51 PM -0500 7/14/01, Mike<mickalo>Blezien wrote:
>is this the default location it looks for a 'my.cnf' file or can
>this be defined
>some where?

Straight from the manual:

4.16.5 Option Files

MySQL Version 3.22 can read default startup options for the server
and for clients from option files. MySQL reads default options from
the following files on Unix:

Filename Purpose

/etc/my.cnf Global options
DATADIR/my.cnf Server-specific options
defaults-extra-file The file specified with {defaults-extra-file=#
~/.my.cnf User-specific options

DATADIR is the MySQL data directory (typically
`/usr/local/mysql/data' for a binary installation or `/usr/local/var'
for a source installation). Note that this is the directory that was
specified at configuration time, not the one specified with --datadir
when mysqld starts up! (--datadir has no eect on where the server
looks for option files, because it looks for them before it processes
any command-line arguments.)

MySQL tries to read option files in the order listed above. If
multiple option files exist, an option specified in a file read later
takes precedence over the same option specified in a file read
earlier. Options specified on the command line take precedence over
options specified in any option file. Some options can be specified
using environment variables. Options specified on the command line or
in option files take precedence over environment variable values. See
Appendix A [Environment variables], page 540.
--
Michael
__