I've used all three, Access, Oracle and MySQL.  I have the least expertise
with Access.

My impressions are:

* Access is very limited in what it can do with respect to real database
manipulations, those contained in SQL.  It does not handle large amounts of
data well.  Access is really a very fancy, scriptable (VB) GUI wrapped
around a very simple database engine.

* MySQL is a very fast, efficient fairly well featured database system,
which can handle large amounts of data.  It handles most standard SQL
constructs.

* Oracle is a very extensive database system, with many extensions, tools
and features.  It handles all standard SQL constructs and adds many
non-standard SQL constructs.  It is also a rather large "footprint".

Comparatively, MySQL lacks a number of features that Oracle has: subselects,
views, referential integrity, cluster ability, etc.  But for the most part,
MySQL and Oracle are more similar than either is like Access.

I'd guess that for the most part, moving the "small" projects to MySQL from
Access will make future moves from MySQL to Oracle much easier than moving
them from Access to Oracle.