On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 03:29:00PM +0200, Henning Schroeder wrote:
> At 11:03 11.09.01, you wrote:
> > > does MYSQL.COM has a table type same as GEMINI ( GEMINI
> >
> >yes. MySQL contains support for BDB and InnoDB tables, that are
> >transaction-safe.
>
> I donīt want to provoke any anger here, maybe iīm still too new on
> the list.
>
> But actually, iīm a bit sick of the current state of the gemini
> dispute. I have the feeling that you canīt even say the g-word loud
> here....
>
>  From the description on the mysql.org website, gemini tables look
> pretty good. But thatīs maybe because they are not so easy on
> describing the problems with their tables as mysql.com on their
> website (with innodb and bdb tables). Also, it looks just like
> marketing talk so i refuse to form an opinion from that.

I beta tested Gemini before things got "interesting".

The technology *is* good, but it's also rather controversial (as
you've noticed).

> So could somebody more enlightened than me please fix us up on the
> technological benefits/drawbacks on these table types?

Gemini provides crash recovery, record-level locking, and high levels
of concurrency (as their documentation probably says).  It really does
work--or did when I last tried it.

> Also, I would very much love to hear about these legal
> problems. mysql.com still says "But the products they [NuSphere]
> have shipped are and continue to be in GPL violation.". Nusphere
> gives you an "Gemini GPL Source" download.  One of the two must be
> wrong :-))

Let's just say that it's rather complex.  The mail archives for this
list already contain a fair amount of information on the topic.  And
there's a lot of information that you simply won't get until the legal
stuff is all over.

> I was about to type something to the effect "please shake hands,
> stop sueing each other and live happily". but i see that iīm not
> clued enough about the situation to have a real opinion.

I think that everyone involved would like it to be that simple and
easy, but it's clearly not.

> Is somebody?

Yes, but most of the folks who know the details really can't discuss
them.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 6 days, processed 132,326,734 queries (248/sec. avg)