I did this at a previous job, and we split the data up more or less
this way (we used a pre-existing item number for the split which was
essentially random in relation to the text data), with a aggregator that
did the query X ways, each to a separate box holding 1/X of the data.
The results from each unit were paged and sorted, so all the aggregator
did was do a simple merge sort on a "page" of the set, which was fast.
On a 6M record dataset, it produced millisecond-range search results.
Not exactly Google-class, but pretty good for 12 Linux boxes, two
programmers, and about six weeks of effort.

james montebello