Ooops, factual error:

> > If, say, Google, can search 2 trillion web pages, averaging say 70k
> > bytes each, in 1 second, and Mysql can search 22 million records, with
> > an index on 40 bytes each, in 3 seconds (my experience) on a good day,
> > what's the order of magnitude difference?  Roughly 10^9.

Google has only 2 Billion with a B web pages.

So the order of magnitude difference is only 10^6.  But that still
leaves a mysql Fulltext search a MILLION times slower than Google.

Someone correctly pointed out today that it's not Mysql's job
to be Google, and I agree.  But it seems to me that it would be
fair for mysql to be able to handle searches in under 1 second
for databases 1 millionth the size of Google.  All I want here
is a decent flexible phone book lookup, not a search engine.

-steve