On Friday 05 April 2002 10:29 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> We are writing a book about MySQL. There will be emphasis on using MySQL
> with perl/php, .net & java. The publisher needs lots of emphasis on SPs and
> nested subqueries. We need to be able to write about implementing biz rules
> using table constraints, which means FKs. Your site says 4.1 is to have

I must say, I think this is rather short-sighted of your publisher.  I
obviously do not speak for the MySQL folks but I don't think you should write
a book on product features which do not exist yet.

That said, it is often a better idea to move business logic out of the
database and into another layer instead.  At my previous job, we had to do
this with MS SQL Server 2000 because the built-in triggers and foreign keys
and the like were simply too slow so we did it programatically instead.  Of
course, we still used tranactions to ensure things were either all committed
or all rolled back.

In my opinion, this is the right approach to take with MySQL.