Mary,

you could try downloading MySQL-Max-3.23.52 for Windows and converting your
tables to the InnoDB format.

Your tables maybe take some 500 MB of space in InnoDB. If you have a
reasonably big Windows server with > 500 MB RAM, they will fit completely in
the buffer pool if you configure it big enough.

Windows has inefficient file cache management. When you get the data into
the InnoDB buffer pool, you bypass that problem.

Below you can check appropriate settings for your my.cnf or my.ini.

http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#InnoDB_start
[mysqld]
# You can write your other MySQL server options here
# ...
#                                        Data file(s) must be able to
#                                        hold your data and indexes.
#                                        Make sure you have enough
#                                        free disk space.
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
#                                        Set buffer pool size to
#                                        50 - 80 % of your computer's
#                                        memory
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
#                                        Set the log file size to about
#                                        25 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#                                        Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
#                                        to 0 if you can afford losing
#                                        some last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0

Regards,
Heikki
Innobase Oy

it was a limitation of the DBTOOLS table manager... I am indexing right now
using alter table...