> The problem characters are the ASCII backslash and the ASCII tilde -
> Good to know, I will eliminate those, although there are still many more
> problem characters.

Well, actually, the one-byte backslash and tilde you can leave alone.
They survive intact, they just display differently over here.
Everybody's used to it, so no problem. Even programming in C, when we
write something like '\t', the backslash (0x5c) shows up in our editors
as the yen symbol, and we pretend that the escape character is the yen
symbol, because, for us, when the encoding is shift-JIS, it is. So don't
worry about the one-byte characters.

I checked the text you gave me, and I found what's getting clobbered.
It's the latter half of characters like the katakana 'so'.

Although the byte that is getting walked on here is 0x5c, this is _not_
the escape character. It is preceded (in the case of katakana 'so') by a
byte of 0x83. The entire character is '0x835c', and the 0x5c is being
treated as if it were a backslash. There are other characters that will
get hit by this, by the way.

Bells ringing all over in my head. I think your content tool is
mishandling backslashes, but it could be that MySQL or the driver is
doing something the tool doesn't expect. (Well, really, the tool is
probably mis-handling the backslashes.)

This is actually independent of the language issues. I'm pretty sure
I've seen this subject come up before on the list, just can't remember
which way the turkey rolled. But your content tool will need to do
something slightly different with the input.

Could you search the archives about escape sequences or the backslash
character?

(Maybe someone who remembers could chime in here?)

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>