i'm sure mysql4.x have wrong algorithm to escape/unescape multibyte chars
a multibyte is escaped while server read it, it maybe a pair of single byte
or a pair of single byte escaped while server read it, it appears as
multibyte
both of these two situation make server unescape incorrectly
i've post the problem, no one take attention to it. at least, those who not
using multibyte will never care about this problem.

dunno weather your problem really cause by this wrong
multi-byte-escape-algorithm