Does any one have a suggestion on running a daily / weekly e-mail notification based on results from a MySQL query?

I have a table with date sensitive rows. The idea that as rows become stale (they were created / updated more than a week or month ago) the owner of the row is sent an e-mail with a summary of the stale items or even just a link back to a web page for updating.

The e-mail addresses would come from a related 'user' table. The stale data table would have the 'user' id in a column for a JOIN statement.

I have a feeling that I will get a few 'buy a PERL book' suggestions which is fine but I am wondering if there is another method. The same server is running Apache and PHP. Could I run this from the command line using PHP?

In the end I would just like a simple CRON script that runs each day to send the notifications.

Any first thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan